Date: October 31, 2013
CREATE is excited to announce a paid internship program with our partners at DHS. This internship will provide students with real world experience in Homeland Security working onsite at DHS.
This internship will begin Spring Semester 2014 where the intern will work remotely on a project with DHS at CREATE (and its partner uiniversities). The project will continue during the summer (2014) where the intern will live in D.C. and work at DHS.
A stipend will be provided to the student to cover the flight, furnished apartment, and living expenses. The student must be able to complete a suitability review, hold U.S. citizenship, and be available to work on-site at DHS for one summer.
Please submit your application materials to Dr. Ragusa, our Associate Director of Education at firstname.lastname@example.org with "DHS Internship Application" in the subject line.
Open to Masters and Doctoral Students.
Deadline for submission: November 15, 2013
· Current resume
· Essay on current studies and projected career goals (one page max)
· Minimum GPA of 3.3 (transcripts required)
· Student with CREATE or USC HSSO affiliation (Priority is provided to current or future
Career Development Awardees)
·Recent writing sample and/or a project PowerPoint presentation
This year, we are recruiting for 3 areas:
(1) DHS Policy / Office of Strategy, Planning, Analysis and Risk (SPAR) As a DHS Headquarters function, SPAR is part of the Immediate Office of the Secretary of Homeland Security.
(2) Transportation Security Administration (TSA): working on adaptive adversaries research;
(3) US Customs and Border Protection (CBP): working on economic analysis related research.
The following skill areas and competencies will be strengthened during this internship:
project management, written and oral communication, interagency coordination, program
analysis, development of technical skills related to quantitative public policy, risk and decision analysis, statistics, and economic analysis. A perspective on the workings of federal government in the Homeland Security enterprise will also be gained.