Professor Detlof von Winterfeldt is a co-founder of the Center for Risk and Economic Analysis of Terrorism Events (CREATE), has served two terms as its Director, and has performed outstanding research under its auspices. The main purposes of this Award are two-fold. First, it honors Professor von Winterfeldt for his leadership of CREATE and commitment to high research standards. The second major purpose is to reward and honor those who have also contributed high-quality and impactful research at CREATE, and to serve as an inspiration to the next set of CREATE researchers.
This Award will be given to a CREATE-affiliated scholar who has upheld the tradition of high-quality research established by Professor von Winterfeldt.
All researchers who have had an affiliation with CREATE are eligible for this Award. Researchers should have demonstrated their ability to perform high quality basic and/or applied research through peer-reviewed publications.
The three-person Committee shall consist of the current CREATE Director, a member of CREATE’s External Advisory Board, and Professor von Winterfeldt.
Nominations will be accepted via email to [email protected] through November 30, 2020. Nominations can be provided by either the candidate or others. Nomination materials include:
- – a current CV
- – 3 sample refereed journal articles or scholarly books
- – a nominating letter of no more than two pages
The following criteria will be applied:
- – Scholarly Contributions in terms of research quality (evidence of pioneering research, stature of journals and book publishers, citation counts)
- – Impacts on decision-making and operations (including development of tools, program evaluation, and planning) in the public, private, and non-profits sectors
- – Research Inspiration (influence on other researchers both within and outside of CREATE, especially junior ones, including mentoring
The first two criteria will be given a weight of 40% each, and the third criterion a weight of 20%.
The Evaluation Committee will make its selection by December 15. The Award will be announced soon after, and a plaque will be presented to the awardee during CREATE’s annual dinner in the Spring of 2021.
Posted: November 6, 2020